In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 195
Online now 296 Record: 5616 (8/2/2011)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Now that we've passed signing day for the 2013 class, I wanted to give you guys an update on how things are going around here and what to expect for the foreseeable future.
- First off, I wanted to thank you all for being members of the site. We wouldn't be what we are today without you and I can't express that enough. Your support is what is helping this site grow and what gives myself - and the bosses at 247Sports - the confidence that it will continue to shine.
- Speaking of said growth, I thought I'd share with you just how far along we've come in the past year or so. Since National Signing Day of 2012, the number of subscribers has doubled, while pageviews and visitors are equally as impressive. Numerous times this "busy season," we have finished in the Top 10 on the network in new subscribers and showed an excellent retention rate - meaning people like what they see when they try us out. As for activity, for the entire year of 2011, there were roughly 3.3 million people on the site. In 2012, that number increased to 6.1 million. And even though we're only five weeks into the new year, we have already passed 1.2 million mark (and that doesn't count yesterday's Signing Day influx). In fact, just yesterday alone, we had more people on the site than we did for the site's first entire month with the network back in November of 2010. By the way, my goal for this year? 10 million.
- Another aspect of our growth that has helped out tremendously is the ratio of annual members has increased dramatically in the past year. As of the end of January, almost exactly half of our members were "multi-month" subscribers (once upon a time there was a bi-annual option and, while not available here, those people got grandfathered in). It sounds trivial, but that kind of commitment from our subscribers allows us to budget and plan more adequately for the future.
- Speaking of, in 2011, there was no on-site coverage for EerSports. In 2012, I personally attended the Spring Game, each of the prospect and 7-on-7 camps in the summer, we hired a photographer and even added a more traditional game/practice beat writer. This year, I plan on attending those same "recruiting-centric" events again and we are in the process of finding a second writer for the traditional "beat" coverage. Not only that, but in the coming weeks, I will be looking for a volunteer to help as a third writer and cover a little bit of everything - football and basketball beats plus some recruiting. And we expect to keep our photographer for the coming year as well. That in no way means my coverage will slow down. I will continue to provide as many updates as I do now, but these will be additions onto that.
- Continuing the theme of "upcoming events," you may have noticed that there is no plan to slow things down here. The insider rewind pieces will continue for the next week, and shortly after that we will take a look at "What's Coming In and What's Going Out" at each position, giving a preview of spring practice. I still intend to have three to four articles (if not more) on the site every single day including Daily Stock Reports, Morning Mashups, weekly Recruiting Trails, monthly Where Things Stand pieces and regular Mountaineers Most Wanted articles. Soon, I will have a new Visitor List Thread up for spring visitors. When spring practice starts, we will have coverage of that leading up to the spring game, where we hope to knock it out of the park with coverage again. Not only that, but I will be traveling to recruiting events around the region for 247Sports where I will be scouting prospects and talking with WVU targets - something unique to our site.
- And don't forget how important this stretch of recruiting has become in today's college football scene. Kids like Quinton Spain, Scooter Berry and Jarrod Harper have committed this early, while guys like Pat Lazear, Will Clarke and Dorrell Jalloh have been added late. Furthermore, thinking of the 2013 class alone, 13 of the 19 high school commits visited Morgantown during the spring, while 17 of the 19 were not only visited by the WVU coaches, but were interviewed here on the site back in the spring.
- Obviously with being a member of this site, part of what comes with it is the benefits of the network as a whole. Over the past year, 247Sports has hired some of the top names in the business from competing networks - Chris Nee, Tom Loy, Brian Perroni and more. If you haven't noticed their benefit to the WVU recruiting scene, well, quite frankly, you've been living under a rock. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more names are added in the future, either.
- Not only that, but the tech guys have wholly upgraded the mobile site, the 247Composite, Twitter feeds, Timeline Events and text alerts in the past 12 months. That's going to continue with the newest wave of upgrades set for this spring and summer that were detailed HERE.
... That about wraps things up. I just wanted to be sure to thank everyone and keep you in the loop since you are what keeps this engine running. I look forward to another year with you guys and if you have any questions or suggestions, by all means, let me know!
Follow me on Twitter! @CMAnderson247
Thank you Chris! Your input alone makes eersports what it is today. There are also some great members on this site as well. Not too many sites where members help each other.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the upgrades do.
Nice work Chris and 24/7, even with all the growth and features, there still is a community feel and it makes for an excellent experience!
Count me in on the "retention." Figured I would just see who this "Chris Anderson" was that kept getting talked about on BGN and never went back. This place has the best recruiting coverage out there.
Keep up the good work. Hell I'm happy with what we got, but if you want to get better that's okay with me.
One of the best things you can do to make the site better is to tell your friends. The more people that posts, subscribe, and share the better Chris can make this site.
Follow me on twitter: @EersNation
This was my first National Signing Day as a VIP and I was very impressed with the hard work you put in Chris. Well, I'm impressed with the hard work you do every day. I've seen the other sites and this is the best by far. The staff and members here are all class. I look forward to being a VIP here for a long time.
Chris, thank you for the hard work you do everyday to make this a great site. I joined when 24/7 came online with EerSports and have been hooked ever since. You can count on me staying around for years to come.
Again, thank you for all the hard work. Top notice coverage.
This post was edited by Lt3756 14 months ago
Thanks for all the hard work Chris!!!
Hands down the best in the business Chris.. I can say I am one very happy customer.. Thank You for all you and 247 do.
Those failing to prepare are preparing to fail!
Thanks Chris, wasn't sure I would get this much involved with posting etc., but just love the info and interaction.
Great site....great job....great signing day coverage
Chris, The growth can be attributed directly to the excellent coverage you provide subscribers. At one time or another I have been a member of all WVU TOS, and nobody comes close to the coverage you provide.
Thanks for all the hard work, and making it a breeze for fans like myself to follow Mountaineer news.
P.S. if 24/7 can provide a chat feature this Board would be perfect.
+1 this ^^^^^ the only difference is I never belonged to any of tos. This was my first as I never thought any of it was worth paying for, boy was I ever wrong.
Just keep recruiting trails going every day Chris hopefully weekends too my favorite. From one Chris to another Great Job!
I just want to say thanks Chris for all your hard work and like others I feel you are the best in the business..
Chris- have you quit your day job? With the growth of Eersports arm of 247sports, I cant imagine anyone being more valuable to the success than you. I would imagine this crazy growth gives you some pretty serious leverage with the network. Its pretty inspiring to see someone clearly enjoy what they do while seeing obvious tangible, measurable success. I wish you the best and hopefully if you havent already, you can quit your day job!
Chris tell them to update each thread with sharing options. On your actual articles you can click the tweet, like, etc buttons but on threads in the forum you can only use the tweet button. Tell them to add the other sharing options. Tell them to use Po.st ( http://www.po.st/) it generates revenue for each share.
Provide a VIP search box that would let members search the entire 247 database for players and topics on other sites.
Obviously you wouldn't be able to post to other sites unless you were a paid member there, but it would be nice to know others thoughts on realignment, players, etc. I doubt that many have multiple subscriptions to other sites and It might encourage others to go VIP throughout the 247 network.
I was taught to honor and respect my elders. They are getting much harder to find these days.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports