Your morning look back, around the headlines and into the future.
On This Date:
- West Virginia has an all-time record of 6-2-1. As far as memorable, that likely goes to the most recent game: a 20-6 victory over Purdue, avenging the previous season's heartbreaking 24-26 loss in Morgantown. Player of the game? Easily Canute Curtis, who did, well, Canute Curtis things. The All-American finished with three and a half sacks on the day and also picked off a pass.
- In 1977, former forward Damian Owens was born. A four-year starter, Owens averaged 13.9 points and 7.5 rebounds during his career. He currently sits 13th in points and 10th in rebounds all-time for the Mountaineers.
- Also in 1977, former guard Greg Jones was born. During his senior season, 1998, Jones averaged 11.6 points, 2.6 assists and 2 rebounds.
- In 1953, current West Virginia basketball coach Bob Huggins was born. In three seasons as a player at WVU, "Huggs" averaged 9.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists. During his Hall of Fame coaching career, Huggins has a record of 709-268, with 120 of those wins coming at West Virginia.
In The News:
Nugget of The Day:
- Four-star, 93-rated power forward Devin Williams has announced that West Virginia is in his final five and he will take an official visit to Morgantown next weekend.
- Not a member and want to get the full treatment? Try our 30-day Free Trial!