Your morning look back, around the headlines and into the future.
On This Date:
- In 2003, center Luke Bonner committed to West Virginia. The 7-footer played one year for the Mountaineers. He scored 23 points and grabbed 22 rebounds in 22 games.
- In 1972, former center Phil Wilson was born. The Maryland native played in 117 games for the Mountaineers and averaged 2.3 points and 3.4 rebounds per game.
- In 1979, former linebacker Ben Collins was born. The in-state prospect played four seasons and started his senior year, 2002. During that time, he compiled 152 tackles, three forced fumbles and an interception.
- West Virginia has an all-time record of 2-1 on this date, with the most memorable game being the 1996 drubbing of Pitt, 34-0. Amos Zereoue ran for 135 yards and a score, while Chad Johnston threw for three TDs to three different receivers. The defense was the star of the day, though, as Pitt could only muster 101 total yards and eight first downs. West Virginia sacked the Panthers eight times and held the Panthers to 1-of-12 on third down conversions.
In The News:
Nugget of The Day:
- West Virginia commit Daryl Worley says his official visit will come in January, but that he will take an unofficial visit to Morgantown on his bye week - the Maryland game on September 22nd.
- Not a member and want to get the full treatment? Try our 30-day Free Trial!