Your morning look back, around the headlines and into the future.
On This Date:
- Last year, West Virginia defeated Clemson, 70-33, in the Orange Bowl in record-breaking fashion. Geno Smith threw for 407 yards and six touchdowns while running for another, and Tavon Austin had four touchdown receptions and 280 all-purpose yards.
- The basketball team has an all-time record of 14-6. In 1975, West Virginia won the third place game of the Presidential Classic by defeating Boston University, 99-83. Warren Baker led the way with 39 points, while a young Bob Huggins chipped in 13 points, five rebounds, four assists and, of course, some tenacious defense.
- In 1986, former star running back Steve Slaton was born. In two and a half seasons as a starter, Slaton ran for 3,923 yards and 50 touchdowns, while adding on 805 receiving yards and five scores. He was named a Consensus All-American in 2006 and was drafted in the third round of the NFL Draft by the Houston Texans.
In The News:
Nugget of The Day:
- WVU signee Devin Williams had 19 points in a 77-51 win last night to help push Montverde Academy (FL) to a 15-0 record in time for tomorrow evening's marquee showdown with Simeon (IL) in Wheeling, West Virginia.
- Want information like that and a whole lot more? Try us out FREE for 7 days! See why we are the fastest growing site for West Virginia fans on the web! FREE 7-day Trial!