Your morning look back, around the headlines and into the future.
On This Date:
- The basketball team has an all-time record of 17-5. In 1989, the hardcourt edition of the Backyard Brawl went into double overtime, with the Mountaineers emerging victorious, 97-93. Tracy Shelton scored 36 points and Charles Becton added 19 points and 14 rebounds to lead West Virginia.
- In 2007, current kicker Tyler Bitancurt committed to WVU. He connected on 13-of-15 field goals and 41-of-42 extra points his freshman season, earning numerous awards. However, his career has been more up and down since then. Still, he will finish his career in second place on the Mountaineers' all-time scoring list behind Pat McAfee.
- In 1979, former offensive lineman Brad Knell was born. A three-year letterwinner, the Poca native started on the interior of the line for the Mountaineers during Don Nehlen's last years in Morgantown.
In The News:
Nugget of The Day:
- There's a new punter to watch in the 2014 class - Kiski (PA) standout Adam Mitcheson.
- Want information like that and a whole lot more? Try us out FREE for 30-days! See why we are the fastest growing site for West Virginia fans on the web! FREE 30-day Trial!