Your morning look back, around the headlines and into the future.
On This Date:
- The basketball team has an all-time record of 8-13. In 1997, Damian Owens hit a pair of free throws with two seconds left to help West Virginia defeat Notre Dame, 67-66. Owens finished with 25 points, eight rebounds and four steals.
- In 1979, former linebacker/defensive lineman Corey McIntyre was born. He finished his West Virginia career with 171 tackles before switching to fullback in the NFL where he's had an 11-year NFL career and still going strong.
- In 1982, former forward Tyrone Sally was born. The Virginia native started 92 games for the Mountaineers and finished his career averaging 9.0 points and 4.2 rebounds. He's currently playing professionally in Italy.
- In 1988, former forward Da'Sean Butler was born. Butler finished his career in Morgantown as one of the all-time greats, becoming only the third player in WVU history to score 2,000 points behind Jerry West and Hot Rod Hundley. He was drafted in the second round of the NBA Draft despite tearing his ACL in the Final Four. After bouncing around the league for a couple years he has returned as an assistant with the basketball team.
- West Virginia has received five commitments in the internet recruiting era. Jason Colson (2002), Tito Gonzales (2004), Tyler Benoit (2004), Scott Kozlowski (2005) and Ovid Golbourne (2005) all verbally committed on this date.
In The News:
Nugget of The Day:
- There's a new 2015 target on the board: Jackson (OH) linebacker Reagan Williams.
- Want information like that and a whole lot more? Try us out FREE for 7 days! See why we are the fastest growing site for West Virginia fans on the web! FREE 7-day Trial!