Your morning look back, around the headlines and into the future.
On This Date:
- The football team has an all-time record of 1-2. In Don Nehlen's final game, West Virginia defeated Ole Miss, 49-38, in the 2000 Music City Bowl. Avon Cobourne ran for 125 yards, while Brad Lewis threw for 318 and five touchdowns. Antonio Brown (156 yards) and Khori Ivy (99 yards) each caught two of those scoring passes.
- The basketball team has an all-time record of 17-10. In 1973, West Virginia edged out Texas in the Far West Classic, 80-79. Jerome Anderson led the way with 22 points and was responsible for two free throws with ten seconds left to give the Mountaineers the victory.
- In 1970, former wideout and return man James Jett was born. During his career, Jett had 1,384 receiving yards, 1,620 return yards and 11 touchdowns, but he was also a seven-time All-American in track. He ran in the 1992 Olympics, winning a gold medal, then played in the NFL for the Oakland Raiders for ten years.
In The News:
Nugget of The Day:
- Immokalee (FL) athlete Jacky Marcellus plans to take his official visit on January 18th.
- Want information like that and a whole lot more? Try us out FREE for 30-days! See why we are the fastest growing site for West Virginia fans on the web! FREE 30-day Trial!
Already have an account? Sign In