Your morning look back, around the headlines and into the future.
On This Date:
- The basketball team has an all-time record of 12-5. In 1988, Daryl Prue (17 points), Herbie Brooks (16), Steve Berger (15), Tracy Shelton (13) and Chris Brooks (11) all scored in double figures to help defeat Virginia Tech, 101-52. The defense deserves most of the credit, though, as the Mountaineers held Bimbo Coles (3-of-18) and the Hokies to 25.9% shooting from the field.
- In 1935, former head basketball coach Bucky Waters was born. He came to West Virginia in 1965 as one of the youngest coaches in the country and led the Mountaineers to three straight 19-9 seasons. He fell off in the 1968-1969 season, finishing 13-14, but departed afterward to return home to Duke to take the head coaching position there.
- In 2009, cornerback Ishmael Banks committed to West Virginia. Banks has played in 25 games so far in his career, starting four of them. He has accumulated 31 tackles and one pass breakup.
In The News:
Nugget of The Day:
- I was asked about the "Miramar Pipeline" the other day, so I checked in to what the Patriots had to offer in the years ahead. I was told to watch out for sophomore defensive backs Tyrek Cole and Jeffrey Hill Jr.
- Want information like that and a whole lot more? Try us out FREE for 30-days! See why we are the fastest growing site for West Virginia fans on the web! FREE 30-day Trial!
Already have an account? Sign In