Your morning look back, around the headlines and into the future.
On This Date:
- The basketball team has an all-time record of 15-2. In 1991, Mike Boyd calmly knocked down two free throws with 4.7 seconds left to give West Virginia an 86-85 victory over Pitt in the Backyard Brawl. Boyd finished with 11, but it was Tracy Shelton that led six Mountaineers in double digits with 16 points.
- In 1972, former offensive tackle Joe DeLong was born. The Weirton native lettered for the Mountaineers from 1993 to 1995. After school, he went the political route and was a member of the West Virginia State House of Delegates from 2000 to 2008.
- In 2001, former defensive back Mike Lorello committed to West Virginia. In three years as a starter, Lorello registered 261 tackles, 31.5 for loss, 16 pass breakups, seven forced fumbles, six interceptions and six sacks.
- In 2004, former offensive tackle Selvish Capers committed to West Virginia. Beginning his career as a tight end, Capers moved to tackle and started there for 32 games in his career. He's currently a member of the New York Giants.
In The News:
Nugget of The Day:
- Lancaster (TX) receiver DeMarcus Ayers has officially decommitted from Washington State, but West Virginia is not an option at this time.
- Want information like that and a whole lot more? Try us out FREE for 30-days! See why we are the fastest growing site for West Virginia fans on the web! FREE 30-day Trial!
Already have an account? Sign In