Your morning look back, around the headlines and into the future.
On This Date:
- West Virginia has an all-time record of 10-6-2. The most memorable of these games may have been the 14-13 victory over Virginia Tech in 1993. The offense was putrid, turning the ball over five times, but the defense was lights out, recording 11 tackles for loss. In the end, the Hokies missed a 44-yard FG as time expired and Milan Puskar Stadium rocked.
- I'd be remiss if I didn't note that on this day in 2003, Quincy Wilson orchestrated "The Run." After catching a screen pass on 3rd and 13, Wilson broke through tackle attempts from Vince Wilfork and Sean Taylor before barreling over Brandon Meriweather and running in for the touchdown. That was three future NFL First Round picks.
- In 1976, former defensive lineman John Thornton was born. In four years, he started 41 games for WVU and recorded 162 tackles and 15 sacks before being drafted in the 2nd Round of the 1999 NFL Draft.
In The News:
Nugget of The Day:
- Recruit reaction from Washington (PA) RB/LB Shai McKenzie: "Terrible display of defenses on both sides, but explosive offense!"
- Not a member and want to get the full treatment? Try us FREE through the end of 2012!