'Eers Lose Foul-Filled Contest

West Virginia came up just short on Saturday, falling 81-75 to Oklahoma State in a foul-filled contest in Stillwater.

Huggins had plenty of reason to be upset with the refs on Saturday.

The Mountaineers had a shot at tying the game with less than a minute left in the game, but a Nathan Adrian three rattled in and out, and OSU finished things off at the free throw line in the final 49 seconds.

The story of the game, though, was the number of fouls called on both teams. The two teams combined for 56 fouls, and Eron Harris, Nathan Adrian, Devin Williams and Gary Browne all fouled out for West Virginia.

Le'Bryan Nash led the way for the Cowboys, scoring 29 points and grabbing nine rebounds, before he became one of the casualties of the foulfest.

Eron Harris scored 21 points, making six-of-seven from three-point range, while Juwan Staten added 19 points, and dished out four assists and grabbed four boards.

Thanks in large part to Staten, West Virginia jumped out to an early six point lead, and was in control for the first sixteen minutes of the game. The junior point guard had 12 points during that time, and Eron Harris added a pair of threes.

After that, though, the fouls started piling up and the Mountaineers were forced to scramble as seven players were saddled with two or more fouls. With Nathan Adrian (three fouls), Gary Browne (three), Kevin Noreen (two), Devin Williams (two), Brandon Watkins (two), Harris (two) and Staten (two) all playing tentatively - or sitting on the bench - WVU was forced to go deep on their bench.

Oklahoma State took advantage, securing their first lead at the 3:45 mark, 31-30. The finished things off with two emphatic dunks just before the buzzer, closing on a 10-0 run to take a 42-35 lead into the break.

Harris single-handedly tied things back up, hitting a pair of threes and getting fouled on a third - and making all three free throws. With the score now 44-44, Juwan Staten went flying to the hoop, where he was fouled hard. After a quick timeout, he knocked down both free throws to give the Mountaineers the lead again, 46-44.

On the next drive, however, Harris picked up his fourth foul, sending him to the bench and leaving the 'Eers struggling for offense. A few possessions later, the Cowboys took the lead back on a Markel Brown three, 51-50.

The teams battled back and forth over the next four minutes, finding themselves in a 60-60 tie. The Cowboys got some separation with back-to-back "and one" plays, taking a 66-60 lead with 7:07 left in the game.

OSU extended that to 70-61 with 4:38 remaining. That's when Eron Harris came back in and nailed two quick threes to cut the lead to 70-67. On the next possession, though, he was called for a foul, knocking him out of the game with 3:35 left.

That looked to be the end of it, as the Cowboys extended the lead to 75-67 with two minutes left, but the Mountaineers weren't done fighting. Nathan Adrian hit a big three, and Devin Williams stole the inbounds pass and got fouled, cutting the lead to 75-72 with just over a minute left in the game.

Up next, West Virginia (11-9, 3-4) will travel down the road to Waco on Tuesday to take on Baylor. The game is set for a 7:00PM ET tip and will be televised nationally on ESPN2.

Skip To Comments

Already have an account? Sign In